A total of 31 civilians, including 19 children, were killed in air strikes last week in the rebel-occupied northern part of Sanaa Yemen. The UN said on Thursday, "UNICEF is sad to confirm that 19 children were killed and 18 were injured in an attack on 15 February in Al Jawf, northern Yemen."
"The attack took place in a civilian populated area with children," said J Touma, UNICEF's regional communications chief. Saturday's air raid comes a day after Iran-linked rebels claimed the government-backed Saudi-led coalition's fall. UNICEF appealed to all sides to end the conflict and said that the escalating violence in the last few weeks reminds that children in Yemen are paying the greatest price for violence.
The Saudi-led coalition intervened in the war in 2015 when rebels captured the capital Sanaa a few days earlier. Since then millions of people have died and a large number of people have been displaced. Most of those who died are civilians.